Frequently Asked Questions on the Township General Assistance Program
What is General Assistance?
A short-term safety net when between jobs or during illness.
A financial aid program for those who are not qualified for categorical assistance (state or federally funded aid).
Applicants must meet financial and non-financial factors for eligibility as contained in the Township's General Assistance Handbook.
How do I Qualify for Assistance?
Eligibility for aid is generally based on financial income and resources available.
In addition to being a resident of Godfrey Township, information regarding you and your family, financial status, and registration with the Department of Employment Security will need to be provided.
How do I Apply for Assistance?
Applications may be picked up during regular business hours, daily from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm.
Completed Applications must be returned in person between 8:00 am to 12:00pm Monday through Friday.
Bring your Illinois Driver's License or Identification Card and Social Security Card to your interview.
What Programs are Available?
- General Assistance (GA)
- Emergency Assistance (EA)
What are the Eligibility Requirements?
In addition to being a resident of Godfrey Township, information regarding you and your family, financial status, and registration with the Department of Employment Security will be required.
Must agree to participate in the Workfare Program.
Check List for General Assistance
1. Picture drivers license, state identification card, military identification card, or other identification with picture.
2. Proof of application and/or denial for food stamps from the Illinois Department of Public Aid.
3. Proof of application and/or denial for Temporary Aid for Needy Families (TANF) from the Illinois Department of Public Aid.
4. Proof of application and/or denial for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) from the Social Security Administration, where applicable.
5. Proof of application and/or denial for Social Security Disability from the Social security Administration, where applicable.
6. If claiming disability, doctor report on current condition and probable length of disability.
7. Proof of application and/or denial for Unemployment Insurance benefits from the Illinois Department of Employment Security, where applicable.
8. Proof of registration for work opportunities with the Illinois Department of Employment Security.
9. Proof of parenthood for any children claimed by an applicant. (Example: Birth Certificate)
10. List of addresses where applicant has resided for the last five years.
11. Complete name, address, & telephone number of current landlord or house mortgage holder.
12. Social Security Number for applicant, any children claimed, and other parent if children are claimed.
13. Proof of high school diploma, GED certificate, and any college degrees.
14. List of financial institution accounts including checking account, savings account, certificate of deposit account, etc. The list should have institution name, address and account number. (Example: Most recent Bank Statements)
15. Proof of current residence. Examples include rent receipt or utility bill.
16. Title to any vehicles owned or the name and address of lien-holder.
17. List of employers with addresses for the last five years.
18. Paycheck stubs for the last 90 days.
19. Rental agreement, if applicable.
20. Shut-off Notice for Utility bill, if applicable.
21. Eviction Notice, if applicable.
Payments are made directly to the supplier. Vouchers are used for non-recurring items (Examples: Food, Household Supplies, Gas).
Where is the Office Located?
Godfrey Township General Assistance is located at 6810 Godfrey Rd. Godfrey, IL 62035.