Village of Godfrey Illinois

PO Box 5067
6810 Godfrey Road
Godfrey, IL 62035
Phone: (618) 466-3324

Village Departments Village of Godfrey

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What construction requires a building permit within the Village of Godfrey, and where can the permit be obtained?

All new homes, additions, detached garages/pole barns, electrical upgrades, plumbing, roofing, pools, fencing and certain interior remodeling projects. All permits may be obtained at the Building and Zoning Office at The Godfrey Village Hall located at 6810 Godfrey Road.

2. What is the current building code used in the Village of Godfrey and where can it be obtain?

The Village of Godfrey has adopted the 2012 International Building Code; the Code is available for inspection in the Building and Zoning Department or Village Clerk's Office.  To obtain a copy of the code visit the International Code Council website at:

3. Where can a resident turn in a zoning violation?

Any resident wishing to turn in a violation may call the Building and Zoning Department at 466-1206.

4. Where can I obtain information about the zoning of a parcel or district within the Village?

Any person requesting zoning information may call the Building and Zoning Department  at 466-1206.

5. What are the requirements for obtaining a variance or rezoning?

If a resident is in need of a variance or a rezoning he/she must come to our office to obtain an application. When he/she picks up the application our office personnel will explain the process.

6. Where can I obtain an Occupancy Permits?

A resident needs to call the Building and Zoning Department at 466-1206 to obtain an occupancy permit if moving into a new home or renting at a cost of $35.00


Contact Person:   Laura Dixon
Building & Zoning Administrator
E Mail:

Phone : (618) 466-1206
Fax:    (618)466-4519

Contact Person:  Pat Vambaketes
Building & Zoning Administrative Assistant
E Mail:

Phone : (618) 466-1206
Fax:    (618)466-4519

Office Hours: M-F 7:30 A.M.-4:30 P.M.

Questions & Answers for Building & Zoning:

Q:  Cost of Building Permit 

A:   There are many things that calculate the permit cost. Retail Value, square feet, plumbing so its best if you contact the office and have this information available.

Q:   What do I need a permit for?

A:   The following requires a permit: Roof, Electrical Upgrade, Fence, Pool, any Accessory building over 200 square feet.  If unsure call office. 618-466-1206

Q:   What is my property zoned?

A:   This would take a call to the office to be look up on the zoning map.

Q:   Is there anything we can do if someones neighbor has high grass, inoperable car, debris or property is not being maintained.

A:   The Village has Ordinances that cover property maintenance so we can notify the property in question and if necessary take legal  action.

Q:   Do you obtain a sewer permit at our office?

A:   The Sewer Department handles tap on fees but we provide a cover letter for Madison County for septic and Norweco systems were sewer is not available.

Services Requested:

Building permits

Zoning of Properties

Cover Letter for septic


Village Violations

Building Codes

Call Office

Building Permits
Commercial Building Permits
Pool Permit
Fence/Roof/Electrical Permit
Building Permit Garage or Sunroom
Rezoning Application
Variance Application
Preliminary Plat Application
Final Plat Application
Setback form

Calendars:    Provided by Clerk

Planning & Zoning Commission:

Robin Long, Chairman

Martha Morse

Sharon O’Neal

Jim Wickenhauser

Augie Wuellner

Steve Koeller

Rick Lauschke

Board Functions: To review new subdivisions and rezoning for compliance with the comprehensive plan and Village Ordinances.

Agendas & Minutes: Provided by Clerk